Kirtan is a devotional style of singing in and arround India in which a group of participants alternately chant devotional themes in verse. The kirtan belongs especially to the bhakti tradition of Vishnuism. The Hindu bhakti tradition was originally directed towards the devotion to Vishnu or Krishna. Kirtan are known in many regionally distinct styles, most of which derive from the formally strict North Indian chanting tradition of dhrupad. In a more general sense, regardless of form or as a formally simpler genre, religious songs are called bhajan.
Main Features of this course
- learn what kirtan is
- how can one benefit from kirtan
- get a glimpse into rhytm and basics of kirtan
- framework of kirtan
- different kirtan styles
What is the target audience?
- everybody who wants to know basics of kirtan
- you know already about kirtan, but would like to understand the musical part
- anyone who likes to hear and speak about kirtan